In my research I focus on the analysis of the success of populism, its consequences on democracy as well as on political representation, and on the impact of populism on party and voter behavior.
My research mainly focuses on voter and party elite behavior, as well as on party competition. First, I am particularly interested in analyzing the effect of the rise and success of populist parties on voter behavior and party competition. I analyze the effect of populism on voters‘ political attitudes and their attitudes towards political representation, but I am also interested in shedding light on the impact of populist’s rise on other parties. Second, I focus on analyzing the success of Independent Local Lists (Kommunale Wählergemeinschaften) on the local level. Here I analyze the impact of populist parties on the success of Independent Local Lists, but also on the attitudes and behavior of their candidates and voters.
3. Juen, Christina-Marie, Markus Tepe und Michael Jankowski (2021). Abstiegserfahrungen in der Kommune und der Aufstieg Unabhängiger Wählergemeinschaften. Neue Befunde aus einem Mehrebenen-Kommunalwahlpanel. in: Zeitschrift für Parlamentsfragen, 52/1, 59-77.
2. * Jankowski, Michael, Christina-Marie Juen and Markus Tepe (2020). The Impact of Anti-Establishment Parties on the Electoral Success of Independent Local Lists. Evidence from Germany, in: Party Politics, online first.
1. Jankowski, Michael, Christina-Marie Juen, Florian Erlbruch und Markus Tepe (2019). NieKom. Eine neue Datenbasis für die kommunale Wahl- und Policyforschung in Niedersachsen, in: dms – der moderne staat, 12/2, 465-471.
- * Populist Parties and the two-dimensional Policy Space. (with Robert A. Huber and Michael Jankowski)
- * Political Trust and Populism: The Impact of Government Participation.
- Determinants of Public Support for Compulsory COVID-19 Vaccination: The Impact of Party Cues, Left-Right Ideology and Populism. (with Michael Jankowski, Robert A. Huber, Torren Frank, Leena Maas and Markus Tepe)
- Pandemic Balancing Acts: Early COVID-19 lockdown changes how Germans trade off lives and weigh constitutional powers. (with Markus Tepe, Pieter Vanhuysse, Michael Jankowski and Florian Erlbruch)
- * The Impact of Populist Attitudes, Policy Positions and Party Labels on Candidate Evaluation. (with Michael Jankowski and Markus Tepe)
- * Politische Repräsentation durch Populistische KandidatInnen.
- The Impact of Gender Quotas on Female Candidate Mobilization. (with Michael Jankowski)
- Corrupt Candidates and Vote Choice: The Impact of Viable Alternatives (with Michael Jankowski and Marcel Lewandowsky)
- Preferences for Gender Quotas in Germany (with Michael Jankowski and Markus Tepe)
- Wahlen in Niedersachsen. (Book Project, with Michael Jankowski and Markus Tepe)
* = Part of PhD-Thesis