In my research I mainly focus on populism, voter and party behavior, and on party competition in different contexts.
First, I am particularly interested in analyzing the effect of the rise and success of populist parties on voter behavior and party competition. I analyze the effect of populism on voters‘ political attitudes and their attitudes towards political representation, but I am also interested in shedding light on the impact of populist’s rise on other parties and on party competition. Second, I focus on analyzing the success of Independent Local Lists (Kommunale Wählergemeinschaften) on the local level. Here I analyze the impact of populist parties on the success of Independent Local Lists, but also on the attitudes and behavior of their candidates and voters.
4. Juen, Christina-Marie, Michael Jankowski, Robert A. Huber, Torren Frank, Leena Maas and Markus Tepe (forthcoming). Who wants COVID-19 Vaccination to be Compulsory? The Impact of Party Cues, Left-Right Ideology and Populism, in: Politics, accepted for publication.
3. Juen, Christina-Marie, Markus Tepe and Michael Jankowski (2021). Abstiegserfahrungen in der Kommune und der Aufstieg Unabhängiger Wählergemeinschaften. Neue Befunde aus einem Mehrebenen-Kommunalwahlpanel. in: Zeitschrift für Parlamentsfragen, 52/1, 59-77.
2. * Jankowski, Michael, Christina-Marie Juen and Markus Tepe (2020). The Impact of Anti-Establishment Parties on the Electoral Success of Independent Local Lists. Evidence from Germany, in: Party Politics, online first.
1. Jankowski, Michael, Christina-Marie Juen, Florian Erlbruch und Markus Tepe (2019). NieKom. Eine neue Datenbasis für die kommunale Wahl- und Policyforschung in Niedersachsen, in: dms – der moderne staat, 12/2, 465-471.
- Populist Parties and the two-dimensional Policy Space. (currently R&R, with Robert A. Huber and Michael Jankowski)
- Turning a blind eye on the black sheep: When are voters loyal to corrupt politicians? (with Michael Jankowski and Marcel Lewandowsky)
- Political Trust and Populism: The Impact of Government Participation.
- Pandemic Balancing Acts: Early COVID-19 lockdown changes how Germans trade off lives and weigh constitutional powers. (with Markus Tepe, Pieter Vanhuysse, Michael Jankowski and Florian Erlbruch)
- The Impact of Populist Attitudes, Policy Positions and Party Labels on Candidate Evaluation. (with Michael Jankowski and Markus Tepe)
- Politische Repräsentation durch Populistische KandidatInnen.
- The Impact of Gender Quotas on Female Candidate Mobilization. (with Michael Jankowski)
- Preferences for Gender Quotas in Germany (with Michael Jankowski and Markus Tepe)
- Coalition Preferences of Green Party Voters (with Michael Jankowski and Florian Erlbruch)
- Populist Attitudes and Voting for Independent Local Lists: Evidence from a Conjoint Experiment (with Michael Jankowski and Markus Tepe)